Why is Asbestos Dangerous?

Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral that has been used for centuries for its desirable properties of strength, insulation, and fire resistance. Unfortunately, asbestos is also highly toxic and has been linked to various forms of cancer and other serious health conditions.

Asbestos was once widely used in many products, including insulation, roofing, floor tiles, and vehicle brakes. Its potential health risks have led to its ban in many countries. Asbestos is composed of tiny fibres that can be easily released into the air and inhaled.

Once inhaled, these fibres can become lodged in the lungs and other organs, leading to scarring and inflammation. This scarring can impair the body’s ability to exchange oxygen, leading to a decrease in overall lung capacity and an increased risk of lung cancer. Asbestos exposure can also cause other cancers such as mesothelioma, as well as other serious health conditions such as asthma and pneumonia. In addition to its health risks, asbestos is also a fire hazard.

Asbestos fibres can trap heat and prevent it from dissipating, leading to a buildup of heat that can cause a fire to spread quickly. Asbestos can also be corrosive and can break down into tiny particles, releasing dangerous toxins into the air. For these reasons, asbestos has been banned in many countries.

It is important to be aware of the dangers of asbestos and to take steps to ensure that you and your family are not exposed to it. If you suspect you may have been exposed to asbestos, you should contact a medical professional immediately.